Sprouts Mesa-PHX Marathon FAQs
- Are there any restrictions on headphones?
- When is the last day for me to defer?
- Do you allow bib transfers?
- Do I need to ride the bus to the starting line?
- What time & where do I need to get on the bus?
- Is this a Boston Qualifier?
- Where are the aid stations?
- Where are good locations to cheer?
- Is there a massage and medical tent at the finish?
- Is the course chip timed?
- Are there any discounts to hotels for marathon runners?
- Will there be pace teams?
- What is the time limit for completing the Marathon?
- Are the miles marked?
- Is there a place I can drop off my sweats during the marathon?
- What is the average temperature on race day?
- Are you certified by the USATF?
- When is the deadline to request entry as an elite?
- Do you allow strollers?
Are there any restrictions on headphones?
No, there are not any restrictions on headphones.
When is the last day for me to defer?
The last day for deferment is January 31, 2020. You may only qualify for deferment if you have not deferred in the past year.
Do you allow bib transfers?
Runner bib numbers cannot be transferred to another participant, and you may not give your number to another runner.
Do I need to ride the bus to the starting line?
Full Marathon Runners - Yes. There is no parking available at the starting line. No runner drop off locations available.
Half Marathon Runners - You may utilize runner drop-off. See map for drop off details. Runners must be dropped off no later than 5:15 am to ensure access to start line.
10K Runners - You may utilize runner drop-off. See map for drop off details. Runners must be dropped off no later than 5:15 am to ensure access to start line.
What time & where do I need to get on the bus?
Bus pickup time for all races is at Mesa Riverview.
Full/Half bus pickup - 4:00 a.m. to 5:15 a.m.
10K bus pickup - 4:45 a.m. to 5:45 a.m.
For the safety of runners and due to traffic limitations, we will not allow runners to be dropped off by family or friends at the full marathon start line. Half and 10K Runners may be dropped off at their respective start lines. See map for drop off details. Runners must be dropped off no later than 5:15 am to ensure access to start line.
It is very important to be on time or early because the last bus will leave at the stated time. Please carpool with other runners if possible.
Is this a Boston Qualifier?
Yes. The Mesa-Phx Marathon is USATF sanctioned and certified.
Where are the aid stations?
The aid stations will be at miles: 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26.2. Each aid station will have both water and Gatorade Endurance. Oranges and bananas will be provided at miles 11, 15, 21, and 24. Miles 7, 13 and 19 will be equipped with Gatorade Endurance Energy Gel (flavors: Mango, Blackberry, Apple Pear, Vanilla - Find on Amazon). Medical aid will also be at all aid stations throughout the course.
Where are good locations to cheer?
There are many good locations to cheer along the route including:
- SE or SW Corner of Hawes and McDowell
- Community park on Ridgecrest just North of McDowell
- Corner of Power and Thomas
- McDowell and Higley (Boeing)
- Cheer at WAXIE west of Greenfield on McDowell (East bound traffic is closed from 6:00-7:00 am, but you can park on the south side of McDowell, or behind Waxie by entering on Virginia N of Greenfield and parking in the business park.)
- Val Vista and Brown
- Mt. View High School on Brown and Lindsey
- Corner of Mesa Drive and Brown
- Main Street beginning at Jimmy John’s on Centennial to Robson
- Banner Hospital on Date
- Westwood High School on 8th street
- Inside the Bungalow 48 North Robson, Mesa
- All along the final stretch of Bass Pro Drive
Is there a massage and medical tent at the finish?
Yes. There will be several massage tables to work athletes’ stiff muscles. The massage is presented by Massage Envy. There is also medical tent with trained professionals. Post race treatments are offered courtesy of Foothills Sports Medicine Physical Therapy.
Is the course chip timed?
Yes. The marathon is chip timed, and your time won’t begin until you run past the starting line.
Are there any discounts to hotels for marathon runners?
Yes. The Hyatt Place, Phoenix/Mesa offers a discounted rate when you mention the Mesa-Phx Marathon group rate. Learn more about our discounted hotel accommodations by clicking here.
Will there be pace teams?
Yes, there will be pace teams. Please see the pace times for the full and half marathon below:
- FULL MARATHON
- HALF MARATHON
If you are in the Phoenix-area, and would like more information on training for one of the listed pace times.
Please check out the official Mesa-Phx Marathon training program.
What is the time limit for completing the Marathon?
Our course goes through certain areas that cannot be shut down longer than what a Six hour pace would allow. We must limit the course time to the six hour pace, and hope that the people that need a little slower pace join us in our half marathon that will remain open for the full six hours that the full marathon course is open.
Are the miles marked?
Yes. We will have signs at each mile.
Is there a place I can drop off my sweats during the marathon?
Yes. At the starting line a truck will take items back to the finish. We highly recommend you put your items in a bag with your race number on it. We will provide adhesive tags with your bib number that should be added to the drop bags. This will help sort your items at the finish area. Clothing dropped at any other point along the course will be considered a donation to charity.
What is the average temperature on race day?
The average temperature at the start is 52 and the average temperature at the finish is 68. Our race starts early, so you will finish the race well before the high of the day, and late February offers very mild temperatures in Phoenix.
Are you certified by the USATF?
Yes, our certification number is AZ12011JOE.
When is the deadline to request entry as an elite?
This year's deadline is January 6th.
Do you allow strollers?